Re: IMAP problems

From: Bill
Subject: Re: IMAP problems
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:45:58 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 29, 9:35 am, Bill <wsharri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I give up and move everything into HOME (aka c:/cygwin/home/my
> name/ -- yes, it has a space :-(  ), or is there a way to tell Emacs
> 22.1 that it should look in C:/ even though HOME is defined by cygwin
> as a different location?

Answer: apparently yes.  I renamed the Gnus files v.5.11 had already
put there, copied over the .bbdb, .newsrc.eld, and .nnmail-cache from
C:/ into ~/, and then copied C:/Mail and C:/News into HOME.  When I
fired up Gnus, everything (almost) was there.

Moral of the story (for me, at least):

  1. On Windows, HOME is moved.  Get over it; it's a good idea (or so
it seems).

  2. Read the Emacs NEWS after upgrading; it told me all that.  (It
might have put it in 48 pt. type, though; there were a lot of
changes. :-)

That left one unanswered question: recovering the new email I've
gotten in the last few days. I followed the directions in 6.3.8
Incorporating Old Mail, but it failed.  Perhaps it works only for mbox
files, and my "old" mail is in nnml format.

At any rate, on step 3, Gnus won't let me enter the group, complaining
"No such file or buffer".

After some experimentation, I found that making a directory group (G
d) would let me enter one of the groups I needed to move.

That led to respooling the articles.  I answered nnml as indicated,
but then it wanted a server name.  After a bit of reading, I decided
"What can it hurt if I just press 'Enter'?" It seemed to work; I had
58 messages in the new mail.misc, and 22 of them made it back to the
old mail.misc (presumably the others went to other folders).
Surprisingly, the new mail.misc (the one I was trying to empty) still
had the original 58 articles.  I finally decided to mark each with an
E, to exit the new group, and then to unsubscribe from the new group.
Once I had all the groups respooled, I went back and killed them.

That seemed to work, although there may be an easier way. Sorry for
the long posting, but maybe it will help someone else.  Now that most
of the work is over (except for finding various new elisp packages, I
like what I see in the new version.

Bill