Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:10:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I tried every single example configuration for gmail/pop I could find
on the net. Nothing worked.
This is really frustrating. A few weeks ago, Guillermo Antonio Amaral
Bastidas posted his Setup here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/49012/match=gnus+gmail+pop

> (eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"
>              :connection ssl
>              :leave t
>              :password "YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE")))

The OP answered:
>That didn't work for me either! I get stringp error. I use the stable
>version of Emacs 22 that is included in Debian Testing distribution. May
>be it has some bugs in pop.el that were solved in cvs ?

He got no answer. I've got exactly the same situation here.
Debian Testing, GNU Emacs 22.2.1, Gnus v5.11

Any new Information on this one?

tia
-Memnon

P.S.: No, I do not want imap. ;)