Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:28:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 12:44 am, Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 4:41 pm, "chrych...@gmail.com" <chrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone here who has made this work successfully?  Tried it using this
> > hack:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-emacs-sources/2007-05/msg00021....
> > to no avail.  I get "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error" with no
> > trace buffer.
>
> Sorry it didn't work for you, although I'm not surprised. It was a bit
> of a hack. For me, it works but only
> with cygwin and windows, and not on ubuntu. I'm afraid I don't have
> the resources or the knowledge to
> fix this up better than currently.
>
> It's a worry for me; my email existence is hanging by the thread of a
> bad hack. Some day soon, our
> server config will change, and I'll be left without email. I don't
> understand why Gnus can read email
> straightforwardly with openssl, but not send it. Nor what everyone
> else using Gnus to send mail is
> doing. Is there another option that I am not aware of?
>
> Phil

Almost there!

Edited smtp-openssl.el so that the advice to smtpmail-open-stream
passes "-starttls smtp" as well.

Then, I learned about smtpmail-debug-info so I set that to get more
info on what was really happening.

I found out that the carriage returns in smtpmail's commands were
causing the SMTP server to return errors which in turn make smtpmail
choke during parsing.  So I hacked smtpmail-send-command to remove
those carriage returns.  (Still thinking of an approach more elegant
than having to redefine it in my .emacs).

Now, I am able to get the part where data is sent up to the point
where a dot character on a line by itself is sent.  I assume this is
something like an EOF signal to the SMTP server.  However, nothing
happens for a while after.  Then I get the "read:errno=54" in the SMTP
session trace buffer.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, I think smtpmail isn't really a part of Gnus so it has problems
with OpenSSL where Gnus doesn't.