Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS

From: Phil Lord
Subject: Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 05:45:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 2:28 am, "chrych...@gmail.com" <chrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 12:44 am, Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Now, I am able to get the part where data is sent up to the point
> where a dot character on a line by itself is sent.  I assume this is
> something like an EOF signal to the SMTP server.  However, nothing
> happens for a while after.  Then I get the "read:errno=54" in the SMTP
> session trace buffer.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Also, I think smtpmail isn't really a part of Gnus so it has problems
> with OpenSSL where Gnus doesn't.

I think the key problem is just that smtpmail.el is old; the author
also
wrote GnuTLS -- it works best with this, but not on windows.

Actually, you might want to try a completely different option. I've
been following
instructions from on msmtp -- this is a lightweight SMTP client which
looks to the outside world
(specifically emacs!) like sendmail.

I've managed to get it working with cygwin -- will be trying Ubuntu
next, and it should work
on mac, although I have no ability to test these.

There's documentation on EmacsWiki about it; the config is a bit hairy
at the moment, so
I'll probably write a proper wrapper library for it at some point;
smptmail-openssl.el can then
be retired for the hack that it is.

Phil