Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS

From: Phil Lord
Subject: Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:48:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 5:58 pm, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> writes:
> > On Sep 19, 2:28 am, "chrych...@gmail.com" <chrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Sep 19, 12:44 am, Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Actually, you might want to try a completely different option. I've
> > been following
> > instructions from on msmtp -- this is a lightweight SMTP client which
> > looks to the outside world
> > (specifically emacs!) like sendmail.
>
> > I've managed to get it working with cygwin -- will be trying Ubuntu
> > next, and it should work
> > on mac, although I have no ability to test these.
>
> > There's documentation on EmacsWiki about it; the config is a bit
> > hairy at the moment, so I'll probably write a proper wrapper library
> > for it at some point; smptmail-openssl.el can then be retired for
> > the hack that it is.
>
> [...]
> er...if you meant this link
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusMSMTP
>
> I wrote some bits of it and others improved upon it.  If there is
> anything which is not clear, do tell, I'll clean it up.  FWIW, the
> last time I checked, msmtp worked on Windows+Emacs too without cygwin.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. The documentation is reasonably
clear. The only thing that would have made it better, I think, is a
short description of how to test your msmtp config from outside gnus,
on the command line. If you get this wrong, in my hands, emacs has a
tendency to hang and has to be killed. Try, for example, changing the
config to a random port. msmtp will now try to connect and emacs will
hang while it fails. In my hands, you need to kill the emacs process
to get out of this using task manager. Not the ideal environment for
experimentation.

For me, also, using the .msmtp config is not ideal, as I have to
duplicate between windows and ubuntu. So, what I would like to do is
write a new package, which duplicates the options of msmtp, so that
you can configure in emacs, using lisp.  Underneath, I'd expect it to
still use sendmail.el; no point rewriting this.

I'm not surprised it works wihtout cygwin, but it's good to know. For
me, a cygwin option is easier in practice, but either is fine.

Anyway, again, apologies for the implied rudeness of the last post; I
am very grateful for the stuff on EmacsWiki; it was invaluable to me.
It's probably going to form the basis of my email config for the next
few years at least!

Phil