Additional software to read email with Gnus on Ubuntu?

From: thruxton
Subject: Additional software to read email with Gnus on Ubuntu?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:16:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,
I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls or msmtp
installed?

 Do I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these
things?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and the emacs-snapshot that includes Gnus v5.13
I am comfortable with fetchmail getting my emails and pointing Gnus to
my inbox, but as for sending email and using helper utilites I am not
sure what to install.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.