Re: Many email clients in parallel

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Many email clients in parallel
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:01:02 +0100

Asgeir <asgeir@free.fr> wrote:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:
>> thruxton <psmerdon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
>>> but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
>>> I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
>>> use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls or msmtp
>>> installed?
>>>
>>>  Do I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these
>>> things?
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and the emacs-snapshot that includes Gnus v5.13
>>> I am comfortable with fetchmail getting my emails and pointing Gnus to
>>> my inbox, but as for sending email and using helper utilites I am not
>>> sure what to install.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>>
>> Would you like to create configuration allowing you to use *multiple*
>> email clients/news readers in parallel?
>>
>> e.g.
>> 1) I prefer to install "local IMAP server" (e.g. dovecot) and use
>>    fetchmail to download messages from remote mailboxes into local
>>    imap folders (with sieve/procmail filtering and sorting).
>> 2) You can use leafnode to download usenet newsgroups (from many
>>    sources) to local news spool also accessible via nntp
>
> Why don't get your mails with GNUS and let him sort them using the To/Cc
> headers ? That's more simple but enougth efficient for a daily
> usage...

1) My gnus generates part of sieve script that does sorting for all
   email clients :-)

2) When I have tested a few email clients most of them offered  "very nice
   features absent in most other email clients". *For me* avoiding being
   tied to *one* email client is worth the effort required.

I do not suggest that using local IMAP is the best path for everyone but
I think it should be at least considered by many people.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
After Goliath's defeat, giants ceased to command respect.