Re: How can Gnus be configured with multiple NNTP servers?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How can Gnus be configured with multiple NNTP servers?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:04:59 +0200

DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:

Hi Benjamin,

>>      {nntp:news.gnus.org} (opened) (agent)
>
> However, when I run the "Describe all groups..." command, for some
> reason, I do not see the gnus.gnus-bug newsgroup (to which I have
> subscribed) listed after the news.gnus.org server, where it should be.
> However, I see one blank line listed after that server (after the
> colon (':') character), and a number of other newsgroups listed after
> that server on different lines, as well as such newsgroups as
> gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe listed after their other respective
> servers (news.gmane.org, in this case).
>
> Why doesn't gnus.gnus-bug appear in this list?

I've just browsed that server using

  M-x gnus-group-browse-foreign-server RET ...

and that's the listing of groups I get for news.gnus.org:

K   1949: alt.religion.emacs
K  29018: comp.emacs
K  18345: comp.emacs.xemacs
K      0: control
K     19: control.cancel
K   1271: gnu.announce
K   1406: gnu.bash
K  11047: gnu.bash.bug
K   1253: gnu.cfengine.bug
K   8382: gnu.cfengine.help
K   2959: gnu.chess
K   1436: gnu.chess.bug
K  11067: gnu.cvs.bug
K  27640: gnu.cvs.help
K  29094: gnu.emacs
K    199: gnu.emacs.announce
K  35611: gnu.emacs.bug
K    555: gnu.emacs.gnews
K  55056: gnu.emacs.gnus
K  82642: gnu.emacs.help
K   5101: gnu.emacs.sources
K   1230: gnu.emacs.vm.bug
K   6049: gnu.emacs.vm.info
K   4019: gnu.emacs.vms
K    325: gnu.epoch.misc
K    185: gnu.g++.announce
K   2795: gnu.g++.bug
K   8942: gnu.g++.help
K   1062: gnu.g++.lib.bug
K   2220: gnu.gcc
K    184: gnu.gcc.announce
K    167: gnu.gcc.bug
K  18918: gnu.gcc.help
K   3986: gnu.gdb.bug
K  12382: gnu.ghostscript.bug
K   2023: gnu.glibc.bug
K    402: gnu.gnats.bug
K    373: gnu.gnusenet.config
K  22811: gnu.gnusenet.test
K    382: gnu.gnustep.announce
K   6984: gnu.gnustep.bug
K  23898: gnu.gnustep.discuss
K   1768: gnu.gnustep.help
K   6584: gnu.groff.bug
K  25645: gnu.misc.discuss
K   3094: gnu.smalltalk.bug
K  12480: gnu.utils.bug
K   3694: gnu.utils.help
K   8393: gnus.commits
K  14077: gnus.cvslog
K  58045: gnus.ding
K 102983: gnus.ding-announce
K  51655: gnus.gnus-bug
K      0: gnus.ietf-drafts
K    782: gnus.patches
K      0: gnus.rfc
K    809: gnus.test
K      0: junk

As you can see, gnus.gnus-bug is there.

But M-x gnus-group-describe-all-groups RET indeed doesn't show that
server's groups.  I'm not sure if that's because I added this only as a
foreign server, or if there's really a problem.  But at least it seems
to show all groups of my two regular nntp servers.

Anyway, you can also subscribe to groups by hitting RET on that server
in the *Server* buffer.  That should open a listing of all available
groups in which you can subscribe to groups using `u'.

Bye,
Tassilo