Re: How can Gnus be configured with multiple NNTP servers?

From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: Re: How can Gnus be configured with multiple NNTP servers?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:21:12 +0900

> [...]
>> However, I see one blank line listed after that server (after the
>> colon (':') character), and a number of other newsgroups listed after
>> that server on different lines, as well as such newsgroups as
>> gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe listed after their other respective
>> servers (news.gmane.org, in this case).
>>
>> Why doesn't gnus.gnus-bug appear in this list?
>
> I've just browsed that server using
>
>   M-x gnus-group-browse-foreign-server RET ...
>
> and that's the listing of groups I get for news.gnus.org:
>
> K   1949: alt.religion.emacs
> K  29018: comp.emacs
> K  18345: comp.emacs.xemacs
> K      0: control
> K     19: control.cancel
> K   1271: gnu.announce
> K   1406: gnu.bash
> K  11047: gnu.bash.bug
> K   1253: gnu.cfengine.bug
> K   8382: gnu.cfengine.help
> K   2959: gnu.chess
> K   1436: gnu.chess.bug
> K  11067: gnu.cvs.bug
> K  27640: gnu.cvs.help
> K  29094: gnu.emacs
> K    199: gnu.emacs.announce
> K  35611: gnu.emacs.bug
> K    555: gnu.emacs.gnews
> K  55056: gnu.emacs.gnus
> K  82642: gnu.emacs.help
> K   5101: gnu.emacs.sources
> K   1230: gnu.emacs.vm.bug
> K   6049: gnu.emacs.vm.info
> K   4019: gnu.emacs.vms
> K    325: gnu.epoch.misc
> K    185: gnu.g++.announce
> K   2795: gnu.g++.bug
> K   8942: gnu.g++.help
> K   1062: gnu.g++.lib.bug
> K   2220: gnu.gcc
> K    184: gnu.gcc.announce
> K    167: gnu.gcc.bug
> K  18918: gnu.gcc.help
> K   3986: gnu.gdb.bug
> K  12382: gnu.ghostscript.bug
> K   2023: gnu.glibc.bug
> K    402: gnu.gnats.bug
> K    373: gnu.gnusenet.config
> K  22811: gnu.gnusenet.test
> K    382: gnu.gnustep.announce
> K   6984: gnu.gnustep.bug
> K  23898: gnu.gnustep.discuss
> K   1768: gnu.gnustep.help
> K   6584: gnu.groff.bug
> K  25645: gnu.misc.discuss
> K   3094: gnu.smalltalk.bug
> K  12480: gnu.utils.bug
> K   3694: gnu.utils.help
> K   8393: gnus.commits
> K  14077: gnus.cvslog
> K  58045: gnus.ding
> K 102983: gnus.ding-announce
> K  51655: gnus.gnus-bug
> K      0: gnus.ietf-drafts
> K    782: gnus.patches
> K      0: gnus.rfc
> K    809: gnus.test
> K      0: junk
>

> As you can see, gnus.gnus-bug is there.
>
> But M-x gnus-group-describe-all-groups RET indeed doesn't show that
> server's groups.  I'm not sure if that's because I added this only as a
> foreign server, or if there's really a problem.  But at least it seems
> to show all groups of my two regular nntp servers.

Thanks; I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Is this a bug, or part of the specification of GNU Emacs 23.3.1?  I
scoured the Internet for a way to add three NNTP servers in my
~/.gnus.el file, but came up with nothing specific.

> Anyway, you can also subscribe to groups by hitting RET on that server
> in the *Server* buffer.  That should open a listing of all available
> groups in which you can subscribe to groups using `u'.

Thank you!  That's extremely useful to know.  At least now I have the
necessary functionality in Emacs (for the time being at least); however,
it would still be helpful to know whether I should file a bug report
about the inability of the M-x gnus-group-describe-all-groups RET
command being unable to list the gnus.gnus-bug newsgroup, even with the
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
command listed in my ~/.gnus.el file.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^