Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:39:36 +0200

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Tassilo,
thanks a lot for the quick expert advice.

>>   tried the same with my new email address, but instead of showing
>>   'first name' 'last name' as sender (like configured in gmail) I get
>>   this:
>>
>> ,--------------------------------------------
>> | [  31: => gmane.emacs.help    ] subject ...
>> `--------------------------------------------
>
> That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
> and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
> articles.

I don't really understand why anybody would want this. Is it only me who
  sees that sender string, or everybody else too? Isn't it much more
  informative to associate messages with sender names?

But anyway ...

> ,----
> |   3. The `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' variable says when the `%f'
> |      summary line spec returns the `To', `Newsreader' or `From' header.
> |      If this regexp matches the contents of the `From' header, the
> |      value of the `To' or `Newsreader' headers are used instead.
> |
> |      To distinguish regular articles from those where the `From' field
> |      has been swapped, a string is prefixed to the `To' or `Newsgroups'
> |      header in the summary line.  By default the string is `-> ' for
> |      `To' and `=> ' for `Newsgroups', you can customize these strings
> |      with `gnus-summary-to-prefix' and `gnus-summary-newsgroup-prefix'.
> `----
>
> If you don't like that, replace %f with %F in your
> `gnus-summary-line-format'.
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
> | gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | [...]
> | %F          Contents of the From: header (string)
> | %f          Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
> | [...]
> `----

... I followed this advice before sending this message, so lets see what
happens.

PS
'C-h v fill-prefix' in this message buffer gives:

--
cheers,
Thorsten