Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:59:32 +0200

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:39:36 +0200, Thorsten wrote:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:

>> That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
>> and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
>> articles.

> I don't really understand why anybody would want this.

When shown in a group of only emails from a single mailinglist, it
doesn't add much, agreed. But in, say, a list of emails you have sent,
it can be nice.

> Is it only me who sees that sender string, or everybody else too?

It is only you who sees it that way, in Gnus, because you know your
name. Everybody else sees your name.

I.e. in my Summary buffer I see:

  OA+        [  34: Thorsten Jolitz        ]
  O +            [  20: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]

While you would see something like:

  OA+        [  34: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]
  O +            [  20: Adam Sjøgren           ]

The point is that in my nnml+archive:news-2012 I see a list like this:

  O. [  17: => gmane.emacs.gnus.gen] Re: I can haz cloud idea
  O. [  24: => gmane.discuss       ] Re: Expiring Gwene groups?

Which is nicer than a long list of just [  n: Adam Sjøgren     ] all
the way down.

> Isn't it much more informative to associate messages with sender
> names?

Yes, but you presumably know your own name quite well, so the space is
used for something more informative _in Gnus' display_ [only].

                                 o o o

This often pops up as a question quite often, so I do begin to wonder if
the default should be that this functionality be turned off.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk