Re: Faking filenames for attachments

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: Faking filenames for attachments
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:44:30 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> wrote:

>    Are there other options that I have missed?

> You can symlink the desired name to the actual name before attaching.
> How and when to remove the symlink is another problem, however...

Yes, but that's effectively what I have reverted to :-).  As
I want to use the same filename for different files I needed
to create directories, though.

> I'm curious: What kind of files do you want to fake their names?

My current trigger were CVs; I usually emphasize some as-
pects more than others depending on the recipient, and I
don't want to name them in an obvious way.

Another use case I can think of is automagically include
versioning information in filenames.  I. e., if I attach
source code A twice as in commit X and Y, use filenames A-X
and A-Y so that the recipient doesn't have to discern be-
tween "this A" and "that A".

I think for a lasting solution I'll revamp MML to accept pa-
rameters fake-filename & Co.

Tim