Unicode characters messed up in recent Emacs 24.4 versions?

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Unicode characters messed up in recent Emacs 24.4 versions?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 15:45:57 +0800

I'm using Gnus as shipped with Emacs (fresh off of the source repository).

Am I the only one having problems with non-ASCII characters in HTML mail (mostly posted from Outlook) buffers? Instead of shopwing the correct chinese (or whatever) characters they all come out as sequences of control characters (^A^B^D^E etc...)

This does not necessarily have anything to do with Gnus, or even Emacs. I'm constantly recompiling Emacs and I'm using Arch Linux so I'm also constantly updating the operating system. Any suggestions as to where I should start looking would be appreciated.

Regards,
Elias