Re: beginner splitting mail (respooling)

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: beginner splitting mail (respooling)
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 23:20:27 -0700

>> Is there a way to refile or reprocess those old
>> emails so they fall under the new heading?
>
> Yes, this is called "respooling" - but, in what state
> are your old emails? If you have them in a Gnus group,
> then perhaps the below defun can help you. The
> operative piece of Elisp is of course
> `gnus-summary-respool-article', you can use
> `describe-function' to find out more. But, if you don't
> have the old stuff in a group, you have to not respool
> but, uhm, *spool* it from the disk or wherever. This is
> of course possible but someone else has to help you on
> that. (I suppose you can check out how the new stuff is
> organized and arrange the old stuff like that with some
> sed or awk or whatever. But this should not be needed
> as Gnus most likely has this situation accounted for.)
>
> (defun respool-mail ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (gnus-summary-respool-article
>        lines
>        (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") ))))

I'm making a start at respooling to get all of my monthly
nnfolder+archive files into my single nnml:mail.sent file. I haven't
used the above code yet, but began with a small experiment:

I put point on a message in nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-03, and typed B
r. I was asked what backend to use, and I chose nnml. The respooling
happened, but the message ended up in nnml:mail.misc and not
nnml:mail.sent. How do I go about routing it to the right endpoint?

Thank you!
Steven