Re: Automatically sort groups into topics

From: John Ankarström
Subject: Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 20:20:17 +0700

Hello Emanuel, and thanks for your answer.

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> As for mailing lists that are on Gmane, use Gmane.

I like to be able to read the mailing lists I subscribe to from
anywhere, and the only way to reliably do that is subscribing via
e-mail. For that reason, I don't use NNTP, only IMAP.

> If you cannot -- hey, what lists are you on anyway?! -- if you
> cannot, use mail splitting to steer the traffic into a group
> which you name whatever you want.

I prefer to handle all filtering server-side via Sieve, so that I
have it available on any device, including my phone. This works
very well for me, probably just as well as the mail splitting
built into Gnus.

> Well, isn't your Group buffer sorted alphabetically already?

Well, alphabetical order would be one way to do it, but I'd like
to be more flexible than that. Currently I sort the group buffer
by score, which I find is helpful.

Furthermore, this:

[ lists -- 38 ]
     19/331  : help-gnu-emacs
      0/50   : info-gnus-english
      9/215  : postfix-users
     10/316  : emacs-orgmode

... is more visually appealing than this:

19/331  : Lists.help-gnu-emacs
 0/50   : Lists.info-gnus-english
 9/215  : Lists.postfix-users
10/316  : Lists.emacs-orgmode

Right now, I automatically remove the "Lists." prefix, but still
have to manually add every mailing list to the `lists' topic, but
I'd like this to happen automatically.

Could I, somehow, loop through all groups available and manually
move them depending on their name? Or is there a better way to
achieve this, more built into Gnus?

> `gnus-summary-post-news'?

This unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me - I suppose it's
because I use IMAP instead of NNTP ... :-)

Thank you again for a thorough answer,
- John