Re: Automatically sort groups into topics

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:26:42 +0200

John Ankarström wrote:

> Well, alphabetical order would be one way to
> do it, but I'd like to be more flexible than
> that. Currently I sort the group buffer by
> score, which I find is helpful.

Remember it is not only an alphabetical sort,
it is implicitly a theme sort because of the
hierarchy style of naming groups.

To sort groups based on score - how would you
then find a particular group? No scoring system
will ever be so good as to put the right group
in front of you every time.

Take a look at these dumps:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus-abc/

One key to get a subset of groups - here, those
with traffic *and* above level 3, inclusive.
Note that this list is also in ABC.

Another key to get every other group.

So in essence, keep sorted, remove subsets.

I post the Elisp here, perhaps you can use it
to do whatever it is you want to do:

    (defun gnus-group-list-few-groups-sort ()
      "List subscribed groups with level below `gnus-level-subscribed'.
    Sort with `gnus-group-sort-function'."
      (interactive)
      (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed)
      (gnus-group-sort-groups gnus-group-sort-function)
      )

    (defun gnus-group-list-all-groups-sort ()
      "List all subscribed groups.
    Sort with `gnus-group-sort-function'."
      (interactive)
      (gnus-group-list-all-groups)