nnimap groups failing to connect to server

From: Pier
Subject: nnimap groups failing to connect to server
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 12:05:43 +0100

I have double install in my laptop, one is Ubuntu and the other a newly
installed Debian.

I use gnus regularly on my Ubuntu install.  Although I am sharing all (?)
settings, including .authinfo.gpg and .ssh, I cannot access
my nnimap groups on Debian.

Here is the output from the *Messages* buffer for one of my nnimap groups:
"
Opening nnimap server on pier@acuti.net...
Opening connection to mail.wservices.ch via tls...
Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.wservices.ch’...
Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.wservices.ch’...failed
Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.wservices.ch
--protocols ssl3’...failed
Opening TLS connection with ‘openssl s_client -connect
mail.wservices.ch:993 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof’...failed
Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.wservices.ch’...failed
Unable to open server nnimap+pier@acuti.net due to: Buffer
*nnimap mail.wservices.ch 993  *nntpd**-31795 has no process
Opening nnimap server on pier@acuti.net...failed:
"

I have checked the "ca-certificates.crt" file for both installs, and they
are identical.

Local folders are read ok and I am using the Ubuntu install for posting
this, as even the smtp server is not working in Debian.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pier