Re: Test email

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Test email
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:54:42 +0200

Rafi writes:

> 1. I am using Gmail as the backend and received Dmitry Alexandrov's
> reply in my inbox, but for some reason your reply wasn't there. I am
> replying to you from the gmane group in gnus.

It's a common "problem" with mailing lists: Some people reply both to
the mailing list and directly to the person, some people only reply to
the mailing list.

The first strategy is useful if the person writing on the mailing list
isn't subscribed to it. (I find that an odd thing to do, and with Gmane,
where following a mailing list is very low friction, even more so).

There are some headers you can set to indicate your preference, but not
many email clients understand them.

> 2. What is the difference between replying and forwarding in mailing
> lists?

I think you are thinking of R.eply and F.ollow up?

For newsgroups (e.g. Gmane) R sends to the author only, and F sends to
the group. (S W sends to both.)

For email, you can think of R in Gnus as "Reply", and F as "Reply All".

It's more complicated than that (of course, this is Emacs), but it's a
reasonable first approximation.

F and R quote the previous email, f and r don't.

I usually want to follow up in the newsgroup, rather than replying only
to the author, so to be reminded if I hit the wrong button, I've (asked
around, and somebody provided this small snippet to) add to my ~/.gnus:

  ; Warn if replying from a newsgroup:
  (defadvice gnus-summary-reply (around asjo-reply-in-news activate)
    (interactive)
    (when (or (not (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name))
              (y-or-n-p "Really reply? "))
      ad-do-it))

which makes Gnus ask me if I really want to email the author instead of
following up in the newsgroup, if I happen to.

  Best reards,

    Adam

--
 "Ride the tail of rhyme                                    Adam Sjøgren
  Break the legs of time                               asjo@koldfront.dk