jami

Re: [Ring] remove registration or change password

From: Andrey Gursky
Subject: Re: [Ring] remove registration or change password
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 14:47:00 +0100

Hi Simon,

> The username registration is optional and the password appears to be
> linked to the username since it is presented as the classic "username,
> password from", but is actually not relevant to your username
> registration. This password is linked to multi-device account.

Could you please clarify the relations between RingID, username and
password and multi-device in more detail? Are these separate
registrations with separate blockchains? But the password is the same
for RingID and username? Both registrations are permanent?

>> Is it possible to remove this registration or edit the password?
>
> For now registration are permanent as they are written to the
> blockchain shared by every node in the Ethereum network and there's not
> support for revoking a username yet. The only way to safely remove the
> relation between your yourself and the username is to create a new
> account.

RingID is a random string. The advantage of username is that it is
easier to remember. But once one have lost a password or it has been
compromised, one will have to create a new username. This would lead to
polluted username space, harder to remember usernames. Thus neglecting
its advantage, right? And if a username hasn't been used for a long
time (e.g. 1 year) it will still stay forever as occupied, which is
also not good IMHO.

Actually, I've created my username with not a very strong password,
just for testing purposes. Please add the warning about choosing a
strong password because of impossibility of changing it afterwards.

Regards,
Andrey