jami

Re: [Ring] What is the "Pin" when trying to link to an existing account?

From: Stepan Salenikovich
Subject: Re: [Ring] What is the "Pin" when trying to link to an existing account?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 14:33:40 -0500 (EST)

----- On Nov 8, 2016, at 8:27 AM, Andrey Gursky address@hidden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just stumbled over the same issue. Unfortunately I can't access
> both devices within 5-10 minutes interval. So is the only way to go, to
> do the following:
>
> on the first PC:
> - pack ~/.config/ring directory
> and on another one:
> - unpack ~/.config/ring
> - ensure the Internet connection is available
> - start gnome-client, generate pin, close
> - remove ~/.config/ring
> - start gnome-client again and enter pin/password
> ?
>
> If that would work, it would be nice to mention this solution in FAQ.

No, this solution will not work.

You can transfer or backup your account by copying the contents of
~/.config/ring
and ~/.local/share/ring (and ~/.local/share/gnome-ring for the call/chat history
and profiles). However, this will not allow multi device to function. That is,
if
you copy these directories from one device to another and then execute Ring on
both simultaneously, the behaviour is undefined.

For multi device to work correctly, the only solution currently is to use the
PIN method. We may come up with a solution in the future which does not require
you to have access to both devices within a short period of time.