Re: Hurd/L4 as a class project

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Hurd/L4 as a class project
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:29:26 +0100

   Other projects actually run.  You can just apt-get source project,
   configure, make, make install and it will work.  You notice things
   that need fixing because you notice that they are not working while
   the rest of the program is.

And this is exactly different from any other system how exactly?

   This method doesn't really work for the Hurd on Mach, because you
   never know if the thing you see is in the Hurd, in Mach, or in
   something else.

And you magicly know where this thing is if you are using GNU/Linux?

   I think the problem is that people cannot just start doing
   "anything", as you recommend, because they need to understand how
   the internals work first.

Actually they can, and I have already suggested one thing someone can
do: write a make target/script that builds a emulator image that can
be used to boot Hurd on L4.  And that doesn't require any knowledge
about the "internals".

Happy hacking.