Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:03:26 +0100

At Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:48:46 +0100,
Dawid Gajownik <address@hidden> wrote:

> What am I doing wrong? (Sorry that I wrote so much. I wanted to make
> myself clear).

For real usability, you need a cross compiler.  In Debian GNU/Hurd,
you can install the toolchain package which makes this rather easy.

You can use the opportunity to apply the gcc patch in hurd-l4/libc/.

I would tell you how, but my last attempt at creating a cross compiler
was a bit painful, and it's not working correctly (can't find its
files without special environment flags).

But anyway, the directory layout you need to strive for is having some
GNU/Hurd-on-L4 directory tree in some dir, like /l4, and then links
from /usr/local/i686-gnu to that directory tree (so that
/usr/local/i686-gnu/include and /usr/local/i686-gnu/lib designate the
obvious places).

This is a bit rough, but hey: This project is under development.  No
cushions, all stones.  But in fact, the procedure is the same for
_any_ operating system bootstrap.

The problem is that there are inter-dependencies between the Hurd and
glibc.  This means that we will need install-header targets.  Also see
hurd/INSTALL-cross (from the Hurd repository) for info on bootstrap
issues - they are similar to the ones you face.

Thanks,
Marcus