Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:55:44 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
At Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:07:19 +0100,
Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:

I was also compiling the libc things yesterday and got it working.  I
just did ln -s /l4/include/* /usr/local/include, which isn't very nice,
but acceptable to me (because there isn't much in /usr/local/include on
my system anyway).  My program didn't use any hurd libs though, I guess
I need more links to make them work.

Yeah, yeah, such hackery will work for now, I did this myself.  But if
you go that route, you need to know even more about black magic than
if you simply set up a proper cross compilation environment.  Just a
couple of points:

Hmm, that sounds dirty :-(

Anyway, I'm writing a walkthrough in the form of a script to get the
thing running.  I'll probably post it soon (but not before FOSDEM).

Sure.  If you really want to get us ahead of where we have already
been a zillion times though, it would be nice if you could work out
how to get proper "make install-header" targets with automake, so that
we can have a clean and proper bootstrap procedure without dirty tricks.
It can't be much that is required to get this working properly.

Sounds good, but I don't know much about autotools.  Perhaps this is a
good time to learn about them. :-)

Also, there should be a
note about linking the include and library files.

I hope I have made sufficiently clear why there should not be such a note.

Well, at the moment the absense of a note suggests that everything
works.  It doesn't, you either need to make a cross-compiler, or do the
linking stuff.  If creating a cross-compiler would be easy, there should
be a note about that, but I think it is better to have a note saying
that for now you need to make the links for it to work, until the
problem has been fixed.  At that point, the note should be removed of
course.