RE: Supporting POSIX *users*

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: Supporting POSIX *users*
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:45:17 -0700

> I don't know about guns, but riffles don't have any safety switch.
> And comparing a gun to software is utterly silly, I have
> never been able to kill my self with software, but I won't
> even try to point a riffle up my nostril even if I know the
> barrel is empty.

1) all legal semi-automatic or automatic weapons have a safety. (in the
U.S.)
2) other types of weapons have *implicit* safeties which require you to
deliberately unlock, load, and relock a mechanism.  Bolt action rifles
meet this requirement.  Revolvers have an implicit safety in that you
must first cock the hammer.  Double-action revolvers have a safety.
3) I was talking about shooting yourself in the foot.  I have a friend
who shot himself in the leg with a .44 because his horse shied while he
was roping another horse, the lariat got wrapped in the holster, and
*boom*.  He didn't have his safety on, or else the safety was badly
designed if it could be accidentally depressed.
4) bad software *does* kill people.  Software controls pacemakers,
airplanes, cars, and many other devices that people depend on for their
life.

-={C}=-