RE: Sysadmins

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: RE: Sysadmins
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:48:27 -0500

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 13:09 -0700, Christopher Nelson wrote:

> From that standpoint then, limiting the freedom of decision or action to
> only those decisions or acts that do not bring negative consequences
> upon other persons is socially positive.

I actually would not go that far. But I agree with the spirit. I would
say that limiting the freedom of decision or action to those that
maintain a reasonable balance between self-benefits and consequences to
others is socially positive.

The challenge is to work out where the balance should be. I do not have
a neatly packaged answer, but I do feel that current computational
systems place the balance point way too far in favor of self-benefits,
and essentially ignore consequences to others.

shap