Re: Physical access without ultimate power? (was Re: Design principles a

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Physical access without ultimate power? (was Re: Design principles and ethics (was [...])))
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:11:00 +0200

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:29:30AM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> > > With this chip, it's possible to verify it technically, but this
> > > results among other things in the fact that the machine owner can no
> > > longer upgrade his machine in case a bug is found in the critical
> > > parts.
> >
> > Are you sure this statement is true? Isn't it just that as long as the
> > new system is not given a certification, it won't be able to access data
> > encrypted with the previous one?
>
> Pierre is correct. You can reinstall. You can even turn the chip off
> *without* reinstalling (when you turn it on again it will reinitialize).

Of course you can simply install a new system.  I was speaking of "upgrading"
and "bug fixing".  This is not possible, because it will effectively be
"reinstalling" in that you lose all your data (assuming the default was to
protect it).

> It is also true that when you *do* reinstall you lose any data that had
> previously been DRM-protected.

Exactly.

So you don't lose the power to destroy your operating system, but you do lose
the power to change it.