Re: On the Requirements of Leadership

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: On the Requirements of Leadership
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:06:53 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:58:15AM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

>      Dismissiveness and ignorance are obviously a problem, but the
>      "not important" comments disturb me a lot. It is perfectly
>      obvious from the entire discussion that there does not exist a
>      consensus about this, and it is not your decision to make
>      exclusively.

While there is obviously no overall consensus about the
encapsulation/confinement matters on this list, as far as I can see
there is quite a strong consensus among those who know and believe in
the GNU philosophy.

Considering that this is a GNU project, I think it's perfectly
reasonable to take the GNU position on these matters as given. Whether
we are doing well in explaining it, is a different question of course...
But I don't feel we need to defend it. Please accept that this is our
position, and this is what we base the design of our systems on.

The fact that Marcus has been advocating this position mostly alone in
the recent discussions, doesn't mean that many others aren't sharing it.

(Having said that, I do agree that Marcus is quite dismissive to other
opinions sometimes -- I have experienced that myself in former
discussions here... But well, so are you. And in fact, much of the time
you two as simply talking past each other :-( )

-antrik-