Theft of Secrets (was: Re: Design principles and ethics)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Theft of Secrets (was: Re: Design principles and ethics)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 00:36:49 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:35:20PM -0600, Christopher Nelson wrote:

> > If you keep it to yourself, only you have access to it anyways. I
> > don't see a problem here.
>
> Then please re-read the message.  The program is *STOLEN* from me.
> That is a problem.

I have read the message. It just doesn't make any sense, sorry.

The proposed design does *not* remove the mechnisms necessary to keep
your data/programs to yourself.

What the proposal leaves out is the mechanism to let others use your
programs, while still keeping the programs and/or some data they operate
on secret.

Or at least this is what we want to achieve, but so far I'm pretty
convinced the proposed design does that.

(Well, with the exception that we don't support the TPM, which
theoretically could help in the unlikely constellation that you trust
the hardware manufacturer and the OS vendor more than the person who
installed the OS. But AIUI this issue is pretty much orthogonal to the
confinement/encapsulation discussion.)

-antrik-