Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:14:15 +0200

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 07:12:07AM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > Sure. But if copyright is just wrong in itself, and doesn't actually
> > function well either, then it should be dropped.
>
> There's no evidence of that. What can make you say it doesn't actually
> functions?

I said "if". ;-)  I don't actually have figures about it.  But it is my
impression that copyrights are very good for publishers, and that the artists
themselves are having a hard time earning anything.  This seems to be true in
just about any branch of art.  But as I say, this is just an impression.  The
statistics Marcus quoted about musicians seems to confirm it (at least for
musicians), though.

> > Note that I'm not "forcing free publication". I'm just not giving
> > authors the right to enslave their readers.
>
> Not giving right to control *is* forcing free publication.

That depends on your viewpoint.  IMO free publication is the default.  I'm
just not changing that default.  If you say that "how it is now" is the
default, then this does amount to forcing free publication, indeed.  But I
don't think I need a reason to abandon a rule.  You need a reason keeping it.
Usually there was a reason for making it, and that is still valid.  However,
that isn't the case here IMO.