Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:57:37 +0200

Am Montag, 21. September 2009 16:57:26 schrieb Sam Mason:
> I personally think that the media's perverted use of TPM has colored
> most peoples' viewpoint of it.  There was a lot of good research that
> went into it and it seems like a waste to throw it all away just because
> the use that people initially heard about is particularly horrible.

Just because much work went into something doesn't mean we shouldn't throw it
away (though many people try to avoid it "I paid good money for that, now I
will use it, even if it costs me the same money again!").

That research showed us a grave danger - especially to free software. It
showed us that it is in fact possible to completely lock a computer -
including all its in- and outputs - with but a tiny chip on the processor (and
a truckload of changes to programs and peripherals).

But its only real effect is to take away control from people who have physical
access to the machine - as long as we can install the original hardware and
they can't meddle with the chip.

But since the goal of the GNU Hurd (going back on topic :) ) is to "create a
general-purpose kernel suitable for the GNU operating system, which is viable
for everyday use" the main target group are normal users who do have physical
access to their machines, and we don't want them to be locked out or prevented
from hacking on their Hurd.

-> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/community/weblogs/antrik/hurd-mission-
statement.html

Best wishes,