Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:29:21 +0100

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:50:26AM +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. September 2009 00:43:35 schrieb Sam Mason:
> > The computer world honestly isn't becoming more homogeneous.
>
> But that doesn't mean, that a bad technology can't make it into all devices.

No, but it puts a large barrier in the way.

> Just remember that mobile phones today are effectively locked down computers.
> I can easily see all big mobile phone companies working together to establish
> a new standard which allows them to use free software but still keep their
> users on a tight leash (just look at the iPhone - you are not even allowed to
> put Python scripts on it!).

It's pretty new that phones have become powerful enough to even think of
doing that.  You also have the choice to use an Android based phone if
you want something you have more control over.  Apple always have tended
to be a little strange with the controls they put in place, but that's
their choice.  If the market agrees that what they're doing is good then
that's what they're doing.  You just have to trust that things will work
out in the end.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/