Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:35:52 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 23. September 2009 03:18:26 schrieb address@hidden:
> > They are the things people daily interact with.
>
> So is Xorg, and yet hardly anyone is working on that...

But Xorg doesn't look like I work with it - it "just" supports all the
programs I use.

How many people really think "Now I'm going to install the new X11, and it
will radically improve my desktop experience"?

The kernel is really low down (extreme is interesting), and the user apps are
the thing I use daily. Everything in between is glue, which is important but
not really visible. The kernel allows me to plug in my plug-o-matic while the
user app shows my the plug-o-matics services.

Then there's the distributor who assembles everything for me, so I don't have
to search for the right userapp for my plug-o-matic myself, and he's the one
on the LiveCD cover :)

Still the stuff in between is damn important, but we need a way to show that -
for example with multi-project code swarms which show how many different
projects are working on a general GNU/Linux distribution. To really do that, I
need a much faster computer, though - which I plan to get once Starcraft II
works on GNU/Linux :)

Best wishes,
Arne

   - singing a part of the history of free software -
              http://infinite-hands.draketo.de