Re: Hurd translators on BSD

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Hurd translators on BSD
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:13:18 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 23. September 2009 22:57:32 schrieb Sergiu Ivanov:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:25:54AM +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 23. September 2009 07:51:17 schrieb arnuld uttre:
> > Does anyone know how the "Hurd translators on BSD" project did work out?
>
> I heard of translator on NetBSD only and this is what I found this
> spring: http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/hurdt/ .

I just glanced over it and I found

"Modification of the project goal resulted in abandoning the GNU/Hurd
emulation and focusing on developing NetBSD-specific translators. Key sub-
goals of it are:"

"Current status It is possible to enable COMPAT_HURD but it disables support
for Linux32 ELF because of the bug described above. Then, statically linked
GNU/Hurd binaries may be run, however, due to incorrect services vector (I
didn't implement the above abstraction yet) the initialization routines from
Hurd's glibc fall into an infinite loop."

So it doesn't yet gain us cross-kernel translators, but it's a first step.

I just sent a mail to the author to ask if he's still working on it.

> However, when I tried to knock on the doors of the NetBSD project with
> questions and suggestions about translators I received *no* answer

Could also be that your mail was overlooked... happens at times. I'd just wait
two weeks and then ask again.

Thanks for checking with them!

Best wishes,
Arne