Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.83 release around Oct 27

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.83 release around Oct 27
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:03:59 -0400

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <address@hidden>wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Am 20.10.2011 um 14:54 schrieb Thomas Schmitt:
> >> I've never had problems compiling git from source. (And yes,
> >> opencsw.orgdoes provide a package for git were you not so reluctant.)
> >
> > I have to confess that i have few clue about Solaris system
> administration.
> > If i remember right, then i only have instructions how to download
> > from SUN's repositories. (And even those i would have to search.)
>
> It is as easy as
>  pkgadd -d http://get.opencsw.org/now
>  /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -i git
>
> Make sure to have
>  PATH=$PATH:/opt/csw/bin
>  MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/csw/share/man
> before calling "git".
>
> See here for details
>  http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/pkgutil/
>
> >> Ah. So the problem we are trying to solve is using Sun's C compiler on
> >> Solaris 64-bit systems with the largefile support to compile the example
> >> programs. In my view somewhat border-case thing to do.
> >
> > It is a 32-bit system, albeit running on an amd64 machine.
>
> See lf64(5) and lfcompile(5) for details on the needed flags.
>
> >> Especially as Solaris use will probably be declining.
> >
> > Let's hope it makes another u-turn some time in the future.
>
> :-)
>
> I missed the start of the thread. Anything specific I can help with on
> Solaris issues?

I just saw Thomas' reply and may have opened pandora's box here.  Below is
my list.

But first a little information. On the opencsw servers in my account you
will find already the git repository under ~/src/external-vcs/libcdio. If
you don't want to do your own git checkout via

      git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/libcdio.git

I've compiled this on current10s. Would have tried on a 64-bit machine
as well, but I wasn't sure what that would
be called.

In the past I asked for a real CD or DVD drive with various kinds of
media (audio CD, data CD with an ISO-9660
filesystem)  to be attached for libcdio testing. I didn't want to
bother you, but if you don't mind if you could attach
devices and let me know privately where those are attached that'd help.

But since this is all remote, even better would be if you could build
and run "make test" on a physical box where
you can eject drives and put in CD's and see that things work, that'd
be even better.

As with Thomas and his shameless plug, I will put in a plug for mine.
I recently released a new version of remake.
There is no Solaris package for it yet. Git sources for that if you
don't want to get via
   git clone git://github.com/rocky/remake.git

is in ~/src/external-vcs/remake. I used those to build libcdio rather
than gmake. It would be nice if that were a
Solaris package.

Many thanks.