Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]

From: Marcelo E. Magallon
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:30:22 +0200

>> address@hidden writes:

 > So the 1.2 is "static"? Have you looked at -release? I don't know what
 > this will do to the SONAME though. It won't give you the name above
 > but close enough (libGL-1.2.xxyyzz.so).

 This is the problem.  In this case the soname *must* be libGL.so.1 (on
 Linux).  The problem is that the library is provided by several
 vendors, and a sane development environment is needed: if I compile foo
 with a particular vendor's version it must run with all the others.
 The exposed interface is well defined and this level of compatibility
 is achievable.  Mesa is unique in that it's available for a multitude
 of platforms.  Linux is the only one where this issue is critical (it'd
 be nice if Mesa used the native libgl's soname on every platfrom, but
 it's just a minor issue)

 What Mesa needs from libtool is libtool's knowledge about multiple
 platform's oddities regarding compilation and linking, but it also
 needs a way to be able to set the soname.  Yes, this is bad in general.
 It defeats the whole purpose of libtool, but the problem is that Mesa
 is providing another version of an existing library.  I can imagine
 things like Motif (lesstif), OpenInventor (Coin, mostly non issue now)
 are in the same situation.

--
Marcelo