Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 tag woes
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:43:03 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Albert Chin wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:44:52AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > > Does this help?
> > > AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS([])
> >
> > That's only in CVS (actually, I checked and it is not in 1.5, so it must be
> > in CVS).
>
> I can send you a patch against 1.5 if you want.
>
> > I don't see it that bad that C is not a proper tag, actually.
> >
> > It would also be good if enable_shared and enable_static became proper tag
> > variables instead of globals.  BTW, the October patch for -shared
> > and -static handling (which I just noted) is a complete duplicate of the
> > special tags disable-shared and disable-static.  It should be reverted IMO,
> > it is just featurism.  When *I* proposed such a change (with no attached
> > patch, granted :-) I was told to use the multi-language branch instead.
>
> Why make enable_shared and enable_static specific to a tag? Wouldn't
> it be odd that you create shared libs for "C" programs and static for
> "C++"? And, the --enable-shared and --enable-static options would have
> to multiply (--enable-c-shared, --enable-cxx-shared, etc).

Actually, it would not be odd at all to want to build as shared for C,
but static for C++.  This is because many C++ compiler installs do not
provide shared C++ libraries, or exceptions don't work correctly for
C++ shared libraries.  At the moment, the shared/static flag seems to
be global so if C supports shared libraries, then C++ also attempts to
build shared libraries.  This has certainly caused some problems for
Cygwin/MinGW builds.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden