Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:45:58 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
>> The Makefile.am's for these plugins are all more or less the same.
>> Yet, some plugins get installed as '$(libdir)/bin/cygXXXXX.dll', some
>> as '$(libdir)/modules/cygXXXXX.dll', and others as
>> '$(libdir)/modules/libXXXX.dll'. And I just can't figure out what's
>> causing this.
>>
>> Does anybody know about this, have some pointer on how to get these
>> shared libraries all installed in the same place (preferrably as
>> $(libdir)/modules/libXXXX.dll)? Any pointer on how to investigate this?
>
> My understanding is that for non-module DLLs, the .dll file is installed
> in the bin directory so it is likely to be in the user's path.  If the
> DLL is not in the PATH (or current directory) then it won't be found by
> Windows.  For module DLLs, libltdl takes care of loading requirements so
> the .la and .dll files are adjacent to each other in the modules install
> directory.  I do not know why some module DLLs start with 'cyg' while
> others start with 'lib'.

There is a long thread about this somewhere in the cygwin mail archives.

IIRC, the crux was that there needed to be a way to differentiate between
otherwise identical libraries that were linked with/without cygwin.dll, so
the mingw gcc will find libXXXX.dll and the cygwin will try cygXXXX.dll
first.  I'm surprised that you get some of each from the same build though;
are they all built with libtool?  Maybe the libXXXX.dll come from direct
calls to the compiler driver by automake/Makefile?

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}