Re: Should libtool link in libgcc when building a shared library?

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: Should libtool link in libgcc when building a shared library?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:45:12 -0800 (PST)

> From: Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden>
>
> > I would just like to verify that the intended behaviour of libtool, when
> > using GCC to build a shared library, is to *not* automatically include
> > '-lgcc' on the link line used to build the shared library.
>
> Libtool does not include '-lgcc' because it is a compiler-specific
> support library that the compiler normally provides.  It may not make
> sense to use -lgcc if a different compiler is used.

libtool certainly would not want to explicitly add '-lgcc' to a link
line, my question is why libtool goes out of its way to remove '-lgcc'
(by using the -nostdlib option).  The issue of different compilers does
not seem to apply here because we know we are using GCC (otherwise we
couldn't add -nostdlib).

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden