Re: Speeding up libtool

From: Robert Ögren
Subject: Re: Speeding up libtool
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:12:39 +0100

I wrote:

> I just configured and built glib-2.6.3 (from
> ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.6/) on Cygwin with
> export SHELL=/bin/sh
> export CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh
> export lt_ECHO='printf %s\n'

I'm sorry for replying to myself, but there are some compatibility issues with glib and Libtool HEAD that I forgot to mention.

1. glib's configure.in defines a few variables like LT_RELEASE, and these names are forbidden with libtool HEAD so I had to patch in a m4_pattern_allow for these

2. configure.in did not have AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL which now is required for OBJDUMP to be set. However, even though I added AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL before AM_PROG_LIBTOOL, it did not work, but if I replaced the call to AM_PROG_LIBTOOL with LT_INIT([win32-dll]) it worked. This needs to be investigated further. Maybe a testcase already exists that I should run...

I will post the script I used for the benchmark, which patches the glib sources to work around these issues.

Robert