Re: libtool versioning

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: libtool versioning
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 23:33:24 +0700

On 3 May 2010, at 23:09, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2010, Matěj  Týč wrote:
>>
>> If I have understood correctly, the whole LTversion stuff has only one
>> purpose - to inform users what have they installed.
>
> More specifically, it provides libtool with the information needed to produce
> a suitably numbered library to satisfy a purpose.  As you say, libtool does
> not provide control over which versions of libraries are consumed in a link
> since only the current version in the linker search path, or the version
> indicated by a .la file, gets used.

Almost certainly (assuming you don't have a very customized installation), even
though you might have several old versions of a library to support the
applications you linked against it, you still have only one set of header files
at any given time, and they will describe the API of the newest version of the
library they pertain to.  And that is the library you want the compiler driver
to find when it builds new software on your system, and the one you want the
runtime linker to find next year when you've installed a newer version of that
library, and replaced the headers with the ones that describe the API of that
version.

Libtool is trying to make this happen automatically on as many systems as it
can, as long as the people who develop and/or package libraries for your system
maintain the libtool version numbers according to the rules in the Libtool
manual.

Gary V. Vaughan (address@hidden)