Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4

From: Tom Ghyselinck
Subject: Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:13:04 +0100

Hi everybody,

On vr, 2015-02-06 at 10:46 +0100, Peter Rosin wrote:
> On 2015-02-06 10:30, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> > Hi Peter,

> >> That's it of course, how else could the variable be assigned?
> >
> > Only when --version is being serviced.
>
> Are you saying the a script with this line in it:
>       foo="`($AUTOCONF --version)`"
> will delay the exec of $AUTOCONF until foo is expanded?
>
> I think not.

No, shell variable expansion is not delayed.

Unlikey when used in `Makefile` with GNU make, where this *is* delayed
until full expansion.

> >> But is it even useful information? I would expect that the autofoo
> >> versions *at the time the package was created* is what matters?
> >
> > The information is useful in bug reports, and our instructions for
> > reporting a bug to the list explicitly ask for the output from `libtool
> > --version` which by including their other autotool versions makes
> > reproducing the reporters environment a lot easier :-)
>
> But are the autofoo versions at libtool time really what we want
> to know in bug reports? Again, I'd be much more interested in the
> autofoo versions used to bootstrap the package. That might often
> be the same thing, but when they are not confusion will ensue.

AFAIK: Doesn't automake --version depend on the project's configure.ac?
At least some distribution have an "automake-wrapper" which selects
the automake version based on the project settings and fall-back to
system default.

e.g. Running "automake" (i.e. "automake-wrapper") when you have
"automake-1.10", "automake-1.11" and "automake-1.12" installed:

- Suppose system-default is automake-1.11

- When executed in directory *without* `configure.ac`: automake will run
automake-1.11.

- When executed in directory *with* configure.ac:
  - When automake version is *defined* to '1.10' in `configure.ac`,
    it will run "automake-1.10"
  - When automake version is *defined* to '1.12' in `configure.ac`,
    it will run "automake-1.12"
  - When automake version is *not defined* in `configure.ac`,
    it will run "automake-1.11"

With best regards,
Tom.