other users using stable release

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: other users using stable release
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:04:06 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I have done some promotion for LilyPond here at the uni - and now some
> other students have actually started using it :)
> Well, the problem is that they ofcourse use the stable release while I
> work with the development release - and this causes some feta-clashes.
> What can I do about this? When I was only usinbg lily my self the
> problem could be solved by deliting the wrong files - but this does not
> work when the wrong files belong to another user.
> Is it possible to tell (configure) lily/xdvi to use another dir for the
> feta-tfms?

It's a problem with TeX. TeX has not been designed for mixing
different versions of the font on one system. The best way to deal
with this, is to use the environment variable approach, both for the
system-wide installed version and for your private development
version. This will generate the fonts in current directory, which
should fix the problem.