Re: blot_diameter

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: blot_diameter
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:39:40 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > According to the recent discussion about blot_diameter, I tried to fix
> > all font symbols that I contributed so far.  Still, I do not fully
> > understand the concept.  Does blot_diameter only apply to convex
> > edges?
>
> Yes, I guess so.
> The problem is that Han-Wen in a previous mail (back in december) wrote
>
> * preferably no sharp inside angles.
>
> but on the other hand he also wrote
>
> * Have no clotting.
>
> Theese two are in direct contradiction as visual clotting reduction is made
> by
> SHARPENING the inside angles. I guess that the first claim was a misthought
> from Han-Wen.

Upon further thought: traditional engraving is made by a combination
of real engraving/cutting and stamping in a metal plate.

One would think that whether a point on a metal plate is depressed in
a stamping process, depends on the distance to the the stamp. That
would mean that the shape of the depression is the Minkowski sum of a
small circle (of radius blot_diameter) and the outline of the
stamp. In other words: rounded outside angles, sharp inside angles.

For cutting, one could vary the pressure on the cutting tool to
produce lines that are thinner than blot_diameter; also it should be
possible to produce sharp outside corners for symbols that are cut
(bar lines, slurs, staff lines, beams).

Anyway, this is all theoretical muttering: I'll take out my magnifying
glass tonight to have a look.