Building on CygWin

From: Robin Davies
Subject: Building on CygWin
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 01:51:03 -0400

Just thought I'd let you know...

lilypond-1.5.55 builds succesfully on CygWin with two only two workarounds
required, neither of which I am competent to fix myself.

I'm running current Cygwin full install as of April 5, 2002.

1. Download the source package from
ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/mirror/ftp.cs.uu.nl/pub/GNU/LilyPond/v1.5/

2. Unpack the sources into /usr/lilypond-1.5.xx .(ok. maybe that should have
been \usr\local\lilpond. whatever).

2. In /usr/lilypond-1.5.xx, run

                 $ ./configure --with-kpathsea 2>&1 | tee log.configure

3. The resultant configuration doesn't include linkages for python (used by
python/midi.lo). To work around this problem, open config.make and edit the
USR_LDFLAGS to read

  USER_LDFLAGS =   -L/usr/lib -lguile
/bin/cygwin1.dll -lm -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config/ -lpython2.2.dll

4. Run
     $ make all 2>&1 | tee log.make

This fails somewhere in documentation tree build scripts, but will
successfully build everything needed to run lily.

5. The install make procedure can't deal with .exe files. Cygwin does
bizarre things with them. lilypond-1.5.55/stepmake/bin/install-sh fails when
trying to chmod a temporary file of the form  #input.nnnn#.exe (presumably
because the shell is smart enough to ignore .exe extensions, but chmod is
not. To work around this problem, temporarily rename lily/out/lilypond.exe
to just plain lily/out/lilypond (we'll rename it back again in step 7).

6. Run
     $ make all 2>&1 | tee log.install

7.  Rename /usr/local/bin/lilypond to /usr/local/bin/lilypond.exe

8. If you have a previously installed 1.4.x version of lilypond disable it
by moving the two files *lily* in /etc/profile.d somewhere else.

Voila. So far, I've run a handful of sample files all of which seem to work
properly as far as I can tell (although the spacing is kinda ugly).

btw, my documenation build does successfully build several of the .ly files
but fails at `/usr/lilypond-1.5.55/mf/out/feta16list.ly' in a python script.
Is this a known problem?

If anyone can make suggestions on how to fix the two workarounds neccessary
to complete the build, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll go ahead on put this
procedure on the wiki site.