Re: intermediate manuals (was: LilyPond 2.1.2 released)

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: intermediate manuals (was: LilyPond 2.1.2 released)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:40:37 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys  <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:

>> a dear user missed the lilypond.vim file last time.
>
> It's in the .tar.gz , it's not installed by default.

OK, that explains the situation and makes the fix obvious.

> You should take up this issue with your Favorite Package
> Maintainer (tm).

I tried to contact Anthony Fok but never got an answer.

>> bugs?
>
> fixed.

great.

>> I have the feeling that the tutorial/user manual goes a
>> bit too far in hiding the momentarily unnecessary
>> background, making the 'second step' very hard to make.
>> Would it be possible to add some small print here and
>> there?
>
> Sure it's possible, but we have to be careful with making
> the tutorial too complex. Too much trees will obscure the
> forest; I'd rather have the second step in some manual
> parts that follow the tutorial.

The problem with the advanced sections is that they miss a
context, they are not suitable for reading but reference only.

Maybe as a first step we could set up a Wiki to collect the
missing bits.  Whenever Mats answers a question on the user
list, he could put up a note, possibly indicating the
suggested position in the docs.  Similarly for other good
souls. :)  This way we could get a picture of what is
missing and decide on the placement later.  Wanna be
advanced users could be directed there, too, exhibiting
their own ideas/ways of explaining things.  Anybody anytime
getting a grasp on some concept could share the discovery
and the piece of information which was the key to it.  This
is often not obvious for somebody having a through
understanding of everything for ages. ;)

Feri.