Re: reading material

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: reading material
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:03:31 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> About a year ago, I decided to learn Scheme in order to understand
> more about Lilypond.    SICP was widely recommended and I shelled out
> almost $100US for it and a lab manual.

I can imagine that.

Also, I must admit I learned as much Scheme as I needed to implement
parts of Lily; I still have only a dim understanding of more esoteric
Scheme topics like call/cc and hygienic macros.

If you have properly learned Scheme, you are already in a position to
rewrite parts of Lily, as my idiom is most likely rather
strange. Luckily, Nicolas has been helping us out by sanitizing parts
of the code.