Re: Documentation of Architecture / Design?

From: Julian Squires
Subject: Re: Documentation of Architecture / Design?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:17:44 -0500

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:21:49PM -0600, Douglas A Linhardt wrote:
> Thanks for your response.  Your answers clarified some things and confirmed
> other things that I had come across.  I will take your input and organize it a
> little better than my original questions and create some HTML pages together
> that can be put on the lilypond website (with your permission, of course).
> The problem isn't necessarily that I can't find the answers to my
> questions, but that it can take hours of searching through code to
> find a particular design-level fact.  And by that time, I've pushed
> and popped so many elements on my mental stack, that I can't remember
> how I got there and what I already dismissed as dead ends.  A roadmap
> would direct a developer's search for appropriate code and reduce the
> learning curve.

I'd like to de-lurk to say that this is great news to me, as I went
through pretty much the same thing, and though I have some (now
obsolete) changes that I've been sitting on for a while, the effort
involved was sufficiently exhausting that I never completely finished.
I however was too stupid to just ask my questions on the list, though.

Not that I think lilypond is badly structured, as I have had to do
plenty of maintenance of much worse in the past.  It's just that it
isn't trivial to dive into, and some developer documentation, or at
least a periodically updated set of links to mailing list discussions
such as this one would be of great benefit.  Maybe a section on the
wiki?

Cheers.

--
Julian Squires