Re: Documentation of Architecture / Design?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Documentation of Architecture / Design?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:43:18 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>       (iterator-ctor . ,Percent_repeat_iterator::constructor)
>
> I'm really confused.  When macro arguments are concatenated to form new
> tokens,
> there should be, at minimum, some comments describing what's being created.
> And
> having an outside reference that talks about it would give a developer a hint
> of
> what lies ahead.

Point taken,

(but I've added a comment in CVS anyway)

> I like the freedom of coding without worrying about comments, too.  But with a
> project this size with multiple volunteer developers in multiple time zones,
> some sort of umbrella design document would not be a bad idea.

I appreciate that - and I think that "multiple volunteer developers in
multiple time zones" would in itself be a very good idea.

FWIW, the design has evolved, and still is.  I find it very difficult
to document bad design, and prefer to fix it. What typically happens,
is that I am forced to write down how stuff works in the the
manual. At that point, I realize how broken it is, and dive into the
source to fix the design. For example, the distinction between Context
and Translator is only one month old.