Re: Rectangle around the note head

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Rectangle around the note head
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:39:39 -0700

On Sunday March 21 2004 10:31, Matevz Jekovec wrote:
> Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
> >On Friday March 19 2004 15:25, Matevz Jekovec wrote:
> >>I was searching the documentation a bit for a feature which draws a
> >>rectangle around the certain note head (or streched around 2 notes when
> >>punctuated over the bar). We use this kind of arrangement, to mark a
> >>note that is the highest in the line (the melody climax) in our
> >>contrapunkt class and I think this has become a standard for all the
> >>contrapunkt classes around. Can anyone help me out?
> >>I'm sure you're way too busy with other lilypond features, so if this
> >>marginal feature is not already possible or there is too much work to
> >>implement it, I really apologize for your time.
> >
> >The development version has balloon help:
> >http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Balloon-h
> >elp.html#Balloon% 20help
> >which his sounds like what you wanted for a single notehead.
> >  I think that using this feature as it stands would require the two notes
> > be marked separately if there are two of them that you want to mark.
> > Otherwise, if using balloon help as it is, you could see if it is
> > acceptable to just mark the first.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, thanks.
>
> Btw, are there any parameters to disable the line pointing out of the
> note at all (right now, the whole and half notes have a black dot inside
> them if the text is "" and coordinates are 0 . 0) and a way to change
> the rectangle size?

  I don't know if the balloon-padding interface changes the size of the box or
tries to just shift it around on the page; I haven't played with the balloon
feature myself.
  Perhaps some people would prefer the line connecting to the text to go away
when there is no text and/or have an option for wether it is present or not.
Some people might want just the box, and some people might want a line to
blank space for writing on later. What does everyone else think?
Ed Sutton