Re: Addlyrics behavior

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Addlyrics behavior
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:37:36 +0100

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 18.42, Marco Gusy wrote:
> Alle 14:52, mercoledì 24 marzo 2004, hai scritto:
> > As you yourself wrote in your previous email, beams are sometimes
> > used instead of slurs to indicate melismas. In that case, it's likely
> > that the automatic beams often don't give the desired melismas.
>
> I think they should always do. Look at the pictures: it's incorrect to put
> two syllables in the same beaming, so each time a beaming is
> borken/interruped the syllable should happen...

This might be true for the music you are typesetting, but there is other music
which uses different rules. Much of the vocal music I have typeset does not
use beaming to indicate melisma, simply because it's easier to read beamed
notes.

> > Regarding the question in your previous email, LilyPond by default
> > interpretes both manual beams and slurs as melismas. Doesn't that
> > cover your needs?
>
> I think it should always follow beams, not only manual ones.
> Marco

There are problems with this setup: your .ly files will not be compatible with
future lilypond versions. If Lilypond will change its autobeaming code, and
you try to use your old file with the new lilypond, then the lyrics may
become misaligned.
This may be why it's not done that way now. (and besides, if you want to use
beams for melisma, then in many cases it's anyways a good idea to turn
autobeaming off; the beaming may be very irregular)

Erik